PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Euroland unions vs uk unions
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 10:28
Robert G Mugabe

There seems to be an attitude of "BALPA have done nothing for me", but the truth is that any union is only as strong as its membership. There is no magical, mythical BALPA that can wave a wand and sort all ills, BALPA is us, it is the pilots, in the individual companies that is BALPA. If the representation of any union within a company is small, then so is the ability of that union to represent its members. Not only that but also the members within that union need to ALL follow the union leadership to achieve a result - something that BASSA forgot recently to their cost.
BALPA have pretty much done nothing for me as I am not a member but more importantly BALPA do not seem to have done much for its members. That of course is based on the number of members who have told me that they are considering leaving due the ineffectuality of the Company Crew Council and BALPA HQ.

"If the representation of any union within a company is small, then so is the ability of that union to represent its members". Agreed but then you have to ask yourself why are so many people leaving the Union. The answer I believe is that most members feel that the company council and HQ do not really have the will to represent the members interests.

In the last 5 years the CC in our company have presided over a maintaining ( not improving ) of longer service pilots T&C at the expense of the T&C of new joiners. Indeed our new joiners now are FLEXICREW and Cadets who until recently had no BALPA recognition. How convenient and cowardly was the BALPA CC and HQ response initially. " We cant do anything for you as we dont represent you as you are not employed by .......... ( we all know who ).

Then BALPA HQ fresh out of the starting blocks,sniffing the wind for new revenue streams, strikes like a coiled cobra . A £10 membership for CADET and FLEXICREW people. Thus recognising and condoning the poor wages these people are operating on.

Then comes the first flexible Random Roster summer offer from the company for more money. BALPA CC advice " Dont touch ..it is the thin edge of the wedge..." Who volunteers. The BALPA Base Rep and BALPA members !!!!. The next year the company repeats the offer but with a much reduced financial incentive. Once again oversubscribed by BALPA members.

One can just imagine what really happens at the Company and BALPA CC get togethers. It must be a most congenial environment. WB ( management Rep ) "I say ......you seem to be doing a reasonable job for the BALPA Crew Council have you ever fancied a management position. We happen to have just such a position coming up at LGW. Give it some thought ....another glass of bubbly ? "

I reiterate USELESS

Last edited by Robert G Mugabe; 23rd Apr 2012 at 11:10.