PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe pilots fired after flight deck row
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 10:04
Landflap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely with Rabski on this. The Buck does stop with the LHS. CRM has been interesting and has great value but the promoters have to realise that the Regulatory Authorities & the Law will site the Captain as being ultimately responsible. Command decisions made by committee have no place in a heavy, fast moving, transport aircraft. If so, let the Regulators & Law makers change everything to give the "committee" full responsibility. A softening of command attitude by the CRM pundits is causing many events like this. Not all reported.

No -one would wish a return to the "Papa India" incident at LHR. In my FO days, I would have instant respect for who-ever was in the LHS; operationally. I might have disliked many, personally, but it never spilled into the flight deck. Many times, I would return home and think "well, that's exactly what I do not want to be like", but, uniforms on, back to having to understand the chain of command concept.

During Command Training, I needed to have the "FO kicked out of me". A neighbour, happened to be a TRE/IRE pulled me up over the fence and told me I was likely to fail as I was "not assertive enough". "Needs to take hold of the ship, more". I took his advice , went to the RADA for acting lessons, became an absolute tyrant to my kids & passed.

CRM tried to kick the Captain out of me. I resisted. So far, no incidents. One very near, when a FO who I thought was a personal friend suddenly went bonkers. Something I had done to help flipped him completely as he accused me of undermining him, interfering with "his" duties and being patronising at all times. Good grief. Was it something I said ??? (!). A firm calming down of the incident was given by me. I offered to have him replaced but suggested that it would not be good for him. We got back in one piece, very professional, actually, but have not renewed our friendship for some 5 years.

Firm leadership by this Captain (referred to in the thread) encouraged by strong Company back up and not this mamby pamby CRM world would have stamped out the awful atmosphere.