PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nav planning by email...
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 09:06
italianjon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like a good tool and a useful one; but an addition to the toolbox of flying...

On the topic of Whizz Wheel and Prepared Pilot or Not... It's entirely up to the individual. If you want to use a GPS as primary then go for it. I don't, I use Map+Compass, but that's only because there is something satisfying about looking out of the window and seeing a city or feature exactly where I planned it to be and bang on the timing. I just don't get the same feeling out of a GPS where you follow a line like the big boys... they get their kicks out of better coffee and the stewardesses I use gizzmos when I need to, but flying is a hobby and I think it should be enjoyable, challenging and satisfying..

Probably thread creep, and GtE will probably slap me for that, but I am engaged in a debate with a friend of mine at the moment. He has access to a bells and whistles glass cockpit Cirrus, and won't get off the ground unless it is CAVOK and everything is working including data sync between iPad and GPS. I'm flying a 1960's PA28 with steam instruments... he thinks I am now unsafe because I am using out of date avionics... Difference is I can go flying on my own because I love the Map + Compass schenanigans... he will only go flying with an attractive bird next to him who he is trying to impress....