PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Euroland unions vs uk unions
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 08:05
Juan Tugoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I kid you not an awful lot of pilots I speak to are wondering what they are getting for their money.Especially with loads of dosh being spent on things like BA's holiday pay.
The holiday pay issue will benefit all pilots - and cabin crew, irrespective of the company they work for.

There seems to be an attitude of "BALPA have done nothing for me", but the truth is that any union is only as strong as its membership. There is no magical, mythical BALPA that can wave a wand and sort all ills, BALPA is us, it is the pilots, in the individual companies that is BALPA. If the representation of any union within a company is small, then so is the ability of that union to represent its members. Not only that but also the members within that union need to ALL follow the union leadership to achieve a result - something that BASSA forgot recently to their cost.

If you want to bash BALPA, go ahead but do not expect some magical better situation to occur if some of the pilots go to one union, some others to a different union and others still are not union members at all. Division in the workforce only plays into the hands of the those who are destroying your terms and conditions. It is interesting that BA with its good T&Cs has a high percentage union representation and a pragmatic union council.