PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - International Touring Pilot Lifestyle
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 07:40
vaqueroaero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just started doing the same thing, so can answer you first hand. I work a 28/28.

With regards to the schedule the opportunity for work over is there, occasionally it works against me, but there are enough single guys here that are keen for flight time and money so generally it gets covered.

I have an iPad, so use FaceTime to stay in touch with my son, who is 5. I make a point to say goodnight, we eat dinner together sometimes over the Internet. He gets a real kick out of it. I have also facetimed from the rigs which he loves. The Internet connection at our digs is somewhat sporadic which can be really annoying. If it goes down I drive back to the office and connect from there. I also use T Mobile which has built in wifi calling (sort of like Skype). That has been a lifesaver. As long as I can connect to a wifi area I can phone the misses for free, also includes texting. I paid for international calling, but for some reason it won't work - something I need to sort out when I get home. In case of emergencies the wife has the base managers phone number.

Our digs are good, we cook our own dinners, but get well fed from the rigs so we eat light in the evening. Satellite tv, DVD players, air conditioning all work great. I shall be taking some fishing gear on my next trip for beach fishing. It can get a little boring at times.

As far as team work etc "people's is people's". We all get along and obviously it is very important.

My neighbors at home are great support for when stuff breaks/ blows up/ falls off etc. One guy can fix anything which has proved very useful. My wife's family lives close by which is a great support network.

Other than that it seems to be working for us. If it gets to the point where it doesn't then I shall move on, but the money is good and the time at home is very enjoyable. I get a lot of projects done!