PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 05:20
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its been a while since we have seen any handiwork from Nostalgia Thread supporter and renown aviation photographer Chris England and which makes his current contribution all the more welcome:

Royal Navy Westland Whirlwind HAS7 XL843 at Plymouth Roborough airport on 15th June 1963. Behind the Whirlwind is a Vickers Varsity WJ943 (Photo: Chris England)

Hughes 500D G-BHST attending the Vintage Aircraft Club's fly-in at Finmere on 4th April 1982

Sadly, BHST's owners at the time of this photo (Abbey Hill Vehicle Services of Yeovil) somehow failed to maintain pressure in the ship's oleos resulting in the craft beginning to adop a hyena-like posture with her lowering hind legs!

BHST's last UK owner was 'ACME Jewellery Ltd.' of Stourbridge in the West Midlands after which she was shipped-off (in 1994) to Denmark. I had to re-read this last ownership entry because in my mind 'ACME' had always existed as a ficticious corporation employed in various Warner Bros. cartoons - noted by the way for producing an assortment of products which would fail at the most inopportune moments but, I suppose, one is free to name one's businesses as one pleases. One British gentleman for example has chosen to name his building business .. 'Titanic Construction'. One does of course wish him the best of British luck!