PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former concorde captain speaks out on erebus
Old 22nd Apr 2012, 22:43
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tricky business, apportioning blame.

Many aircraft have been doomed from the moment they took off, and nothing the crew could or did do would have saved them (the Alaska Airlines 261 crash for example, where a control failure led to loss of control). In that case, it's hard to see how any blame could be paid at the Captain's door. Others, like Erebus, are a combination of factors. My view is that Erebus would never had happened had the Captain not ignored the basic tenets of visual flight.

Having said that, he probably took what he assessed as a reasonable risk in the circumstances... and if the other factors had not come into play (inaccurate position due changes made without his knowledge), he almost certainly would have got away with it.

So maybe the argument should really be, "what is a reasonable risk when commanding an aircraft"?

Some would say no risk is reasonable, others would say every part of flying is a risk and just needs to be managed properly. I tend to the latter view.

I think most of us know instinctively when we are straying from the path, it's what we do next that matters.