PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Walter Mitty?
Thread: Walter Mitty?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2012, 19:10
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 471 Likes on 249 Posts
Ricorigs, you obviously don't understand the rules either.

During my pilot training, RAF "wings" were awarded after successfully graduating basic flying training school (BFTS). Post grad students were then entitled to wear them at AFTS, on the OCU and also onto their first operational squadron. However, pilots were not entitled to retain the wings badge (as in wear them afterwards) if not successfully achieving Combat Ready status. I think there was a time limit on this, too, either 6 or 9 months. If a pilot couldn't subsequently achieve CR (hopefully he could with further training) then he was suspended, or removed from further flying as pilot i.e. chopped. However, if he was re-roled to another type of aircraft and successfully achieved CR on another squadron, then no problem whatsoever with keeping the flying badge.

In 1977, due to the high subsequent "chop rate", pilot wings were not awarded until after AFTS. I was at RAF Linton on Ouse when the change occurred (before we completed the BFTS course; we trainee pilots and those on subsequent courses had to wait another 18 months or so).

P.S. I've used the past tense because it's quite some years since I was wearing RAF wings but I'm certain the rules on this will not have changed. I've never worn RAF wings since leaving the service, even though I do still fly for a living.

Last edited by ShyTorque; 22nd Apr 2012 at 19:21.