PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight planning with this patchy weather
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2012, 14:00
John R81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked Fuji Abound's post 25.

I am a PPL(H) so most likely more comfortable than many posting here about flying under the weather. The ability to drop into a farmer's field and wait out the weather is also an important difference.

I have a minima rule that I have not so far broken (and I don't intend to); visibility to maintain 60knt airspeed and 600ft height OR turn back, divert or stick it in a field right now.

My normal airspeed is 110-120knt so I am aware of reducing speed to maintain VIZ, and I have a radar altimeter set to chime at 700 ft to remind me that things are getting tight.

I do take account of whether my direction of travel is with, or into, the oncoming weather.

PROB 30 I take note of but the likelihood is low. So, like FA's on Saturday 21 I headed to the airfield, and had a full day. Occasional heavy rain, with hail and gusting winds, to steer well clear of but nothing that caused problems, or even concerns given my fuel state and divert options.

So far, in total I have had 2x turn-back and give in, 1x land in a field for 40 minutes to wait for the weather to change, and no divert to alternate field. In addition, there have been a couple of times flying West to East when I have stayed on the ground waiting for a front to go through, and then lifted in the clear air ahead of the next wave of clouds to fly along with the clear air to my destination.

I do like to follow the METARs that are up-weatehr so I can get a more accurate understanding of what is going to hit me. Seeing airfield METARs dropping in succession also gives a clear view of the speed of advance.

Finally, on long N / S strips (EGKR to the Western Highlands) I have a number of alternate routes to provide for low-level options both West and East coast, depending on weather.