PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice On PPL
Thread: Advice On PPL
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2002, 00:05
pops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canada!

Have you given any thought into coming to Canada? Your money will go much further, the weather is great, and we have a licence that is an easier transfer to UK. or wherever you go.

Check out Professional Flight Center (Pro IFR) in Vancouver. They have a name like none other. John Montgomery (the owner) is known the world over for his system of teaching. The guy is great too and he'll break his back trying to make sure you're happy while you're here. They have great accommodation, including a couple of cars that the students share, mountain bikes, basically, if you ask for it, John will do his best to get it for you.

You'll find quite a few students there from your neck of the woods, as well as an instructor or two. Vancouver's great. It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world. If you like the outdoors at all, you will have your fill of hiking, skiing, swimming, mountain biking, etc.

The flying experience is the best part. The airspace is quite busy, but you don't have to go far to find nice empty practice space. You will be able to log oodles of high altitude mountain time.

Pro has a program now for FAA conversions, and it seems they're actually getting quite a bit of business from the US even. They sometimes find it cheaper to come to Canada, get a Canadian CPL and multi-IFR, then convert it and go home with 2 licenses, practically ensuring them worldwide acceptance.

Unlike the rest of Canada, Vancouver seems to stay relatively snow-free. We have had none yet this year, and will usually only get a flake or 2 even on the coldest days. Summers are beautiful. You should be careful about training some place hot if your flying is going to be done in Scotland. Cold weather flying is a whole different lacrosse game (or cricket if you prefer). More than one Southern flyboy has died in Canada becaue they forgot to change altitudes for cold weather corrections, or they were suddenly surprised by icing on their wings. That's not counting the embarassing scenes when a "new Canadian" first tries to start a cold engine, or stands there looking confused in the morning, wondering how to work the deicer!

I know I sound like a bit of a salesman, but I would give some serious thought to Canada if I were you. At the risk of offending my American brothers, I must say that our license is will be much more similar to the license in the UK. Where the British license is known for being unnecesarily thorough, the FAA license is at the opposite end of the spectrum (they publish the questions and answers to their exams!!), and Canada falls somewhere in between.

Last edited by pops; 14th Dec 2002 at 00:28.