PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 22nd Apr 2012, 13:34
Iver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a340bcn,

I do not work for Qatar but I can attempt to answer a few of your questions based on research and what I have read on these boards - hopefully others will correct me if I am incorrect. Money has already been discussed. Keep in mind that salary is only part of the equation - your housing and other benefits (some money for schooling for kids, etc.) are included - so you have to view it as a "package."

If you have longhaul, widebody experience (i.e., A340 time), you have a better chance of being awarded a widebody - A330, 777, A300-600F or even the 787. Given that the first of potentially 60 787s will be arriving in June/July (I read an estimate that barring Boeing delays, and with a good production ramp-up, QR could receive one new 787 every three weeks for four years), you might qualify for 787 FO right off the bat depending upon your application timing as that fleet grows. You have the widebody experience and that would be helpful. Keep in mind there is a training bond for any aircraft type for which you are not typed. I am not sure about the Captain upgrade timing or hours/experience requried - others can provide those details.

As for commuting back to beautiful Barcelona, I have read that it is very difficult (if not impossible) to plan a commuting schedule for yourself. Many other Europeans have asked that question regarding both Qatar and Emirates. If I were you, I would just assume that commuting on a regular basis would not be possible.

Hopefully others can provide more details. It sounds like a large number of your countrymen (Spanair and others) have been hired by Qatar recently - including many as Direct Entry Captain on the A320. There is probably a pretty good sized Spanish community at QR. If I were you, I would look at both Qatar and Emirates if you are interested in the Middle East. That said, seek out many perspectives as you evaluate opportunities - especially from your countrymen who have come to Qatar Airways and that region.

Buenos Suerte!

Last edited by Iver; 22nd Apr 2012 at 17:38.