PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC Training in cloud no radar cover
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2012, 13:02
Aware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was out yesterday tracking towards Westcott, lots of gliders so remained VMC then went up towards Coventry, and indeed transition altitude is 6000'. I guess below this altitude, Qs with not be used anymore, as you will be on the local QNH, and big sky principle will surfice.

Went back to my FI instructor and got his thoughts, he has 25000 hours and concludes with most comments on here, no radar is not a great problem, you have more risk of a collision at the VRPS at airfields in VMC he felt. He also stated that he thought no collision in IMC OCAS in UK since the war.

I have to say with nearly a 1000 hrs of VFR flying instruction, IMC training is a nice change, and quite fun getting students to fly to the tighter tolerances, I am finding it quite demanding getting the lessons as effective as I do in VFR teaching, but I guess its experience, briefing is taking me ages if its an approach lesson.

NDB teaching with an RBI in a strong wind and a slow aircraft has to be the most interesting teaching to date, how really can you do this with out a GPS backup ? The aircraft I have been using this week has no DME, and student is taking his test at Coventry. The plate says that ranges will be given by ATC, but not sure if they will be happy to do that if busy, I will check with them next week before we start the approaches. Im assuming that vectoring onto the approach maybe not allowed in the test ?