PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe ATC controller info needed
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2012, 11:55
warsteiner888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC training

Really impressed you are willing to go for a new career with two kids to worry about, shows real guts if you ask me. I have done the military, regional and now international tower jobs. All three are great. Military was by far the most satisfying but civil pays better.
I paid about £25000 to train as a civil controller four years ago, ADC and APP procedural. That price included all my accomodation costs at travel lodges and other cheap hotels. I haggled the cost of my training courses and managed to get some big reductions by committing to the basic and the two bigger ones. Should have gone for radar instead of procedural as that would have been far more attractive to employers but listened to bad advice. By thy way I was 42 when I decided to pay for civil training although I did have military experience. Your young age is no barrier. Dont let people put you off, if your willing to put the hours in then this is a very rewarding job but the training is quite rightly very difficult. I dont know HD but he seems to have his finger on the pulse even if retired so read some of his comments. Great job, huge gamble - go for it. You will also meet some of the most professional people in the world who know what "duty of care" means (not including ATC management). Best of luck