PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air controller during emergency landing: 'I know that's BS'
Old 22nd Apr 2012, 11:29
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
You know, I hate to bring this up, but.....

(sigh) Speebird 177

....had a golden opportunity to ride, straight and tall in the R/T saddle, into the morass of airwave cluster-feckedness and set an example for the yokels to aspire to (not that we would), and if not (safest bet), then at least as a matter of integrity and to post a big, proud win for airline, queen, and country. But what did Speedbird 177 do at 4:25 when this chance to shine presented itself? He choked, big-time, muffing his landing clearance readback by omitting "Speedbird" entirely: "Cleared to land, Two Two Left, One Seventy Seven". He just....omitted it. Like it didn't even exist.

Oh the humanity, not to mention a chance for glory blown (and with the high priests of ICAO sitting just down the road in Montreal no less). As it was, his readback could have been made from someone..I dunno, say....with a handheld, it was so cavalier.

Speaking of which, if the NYC's terminal airpace was Balaclava and (callsign omitted) 177 rode in like they did...Delta approaching 22R to the right of them, other aircraft most likely somewhere to the left of them, certainly additional traffic inbound behind them...well you get the picture, and look at how THAT much-studied example of mis-communication turned out. Haven't we learned yet that callsigns are always important, sometimes critical? For example, recently in Denver there was a little-known incident where a pilot garbled/ommitted a callsign which led to an ATC tower controller becoming confused, and he convinced himself...well, it was bad let me tell you, the upshot being the Controller thought the flight didn't even exist.

In that incident, about 100 people could have died if only more things had gone wrong. And that was just a little airplane. (Callsign omitted) 177 was a big airplane flying in the busiest airspace in the world, which means the ANIEWW (Adjusted Numbers If Everything Went Wrong) casualty count is lot more. Somewhere around 600 or so.

doubtfire
Furthermore. Your posts come across as though you feel a tad insecure.

I'm fairly troubled if they do. I was aiming higher, for Paranoid. This sid must be on the weak side.
You really shouldn`t rise to the bate of others.

The only "bate" I've seen around here is the circle-type, and yikes, just the spectacle of the first 9 replies on this thread made me want to reach for a firehose and break it up for the sake of common decency.

But I get your meaning about rising to the bait. The question you need to ask yourself is "Am I?" Oooooooo. Do dee doo doo mate.
Just remind the rest of the world that flight began in NC and let it go mate

Nah, the Kiwis have been working that "first flight" angle forever, and they're just so damn cute.