PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Familiarisation for UK flying for a US-trained JAR PPL
Old 29th Dec 2001, 19:56
TAF Oscar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Blackshirt,

I also trained in the US, even though I didn't go back to the UK but back to NL I think the differences will be similar (if you see what I mean).

Things I had to learn or get used to before being checked out in NL:
- deciphering NOTAM reports; in the US I just used 1-800-WXBRIEF like everyone else, and there wasn't much NOTAM stuff in the exams unlike TAFs and METARs
- use of departure/approach routes into busy CTRs, especially Visual Reporting Points; in the US I just flew direct A-B
- didn't have too much difficulty with RT, having done the exam for the PPL. The terminology is slightly different than the US (eg Runway zero-four instead of Runway four) and the format and use of words is stricter, but the basics are the same: who you are, where you are, what you want cq what your intentions are
- specific club rules! Like hangar key protocol... all the a/c in Florida were parked outside
- use of pitot heat and primer, not needed in Florida
- filing formal flight plans via PC application (instead of calling the trusty 1-800-WXBRIEF)

and finally, a bit of an unexpected one:
- landing on narrow runways; most of the airports I used in Florida had runways 100-150 foot wide. Although we practised short field stuff it didn't prepare me for narrow runways, I kept making heavy landings at a particular airfield here (thinking I was higher than I actually was), until I got used to the different perception

Hope this helps...TAFO

PS - who you calling a fat Dutchman then?