PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2012, 21:57
Jack1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how is T2 affecting Cork? Could you explain. You realy need to get a grip..
You've really misinterpreted Tom's point. What I believe he was saying was since T2 opened Dublin's capacity has increased quite a bit and any new business proposed at Cork is hijacked by the DAA into Dublin - Tom didn't mean the carriers operating to/from T2 but the increase in capacity (which the DAA are trying to fill and recover) at Dublin.

I agree with Copenhagen and Brian, Cork has huge potential but is failing on its own to market the routes - I'll give you an example.. when bmibaby launched East Midlands to/from Cork in December of 2009 they done absolutely no marketing what so ever besides on their own website and inflight magazine, now if I was working in the Marketing Dept at Cork wouldn't you think I along with my colleagues should try fund marketing for the route via Social Media and Radio etc was it done though? No it wasn't and the route was pulled along with the existing Manchester route within 3 months of its launch, quite a disaster for the CAA who had no one else but themselves to blame. Cork could open/re-open routes to Budapest, Madrid, Prague, Vienna, Zurich etc.. quite easily if it found the carrier gave them a realistic deal and actually marketed the route.

I'm not trying to demote Shannon when I say any new carrier which expresses interest in operating to/from Ireland are going to want to fly to either Dublin or Cork simply because both destinations actually market themselves as they are well known Internationally, Shannon however is a small village inbetween two cities and it is always going to struggle to find new European business to prove this an example - Knock changed its name to Ireland West Airport Knock it provided realistic route opportunities and markets routes very well, result? yes European expansion the introduction of a well known UK regional airline Flybe and a European legacy carrier - Lufthansa. Cork can do all this and more if it markets routes and provides realistic opportunities but it is failing to do this and I hope they change this situation fast because they've done themselves proud recently with returning the Brussels route but they need to continue to market the route and further exacerbate its current success if it is to be maintained.