PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Man-machine interface and anomalies
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2012, 14:28
Linktrained

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safe T.P.

Before we go back to the 1947 C54 trans-Atlantic flight, which was all fully automatic from one runway to another, but not from Terminal to Terminal...
You mentioned Murphy's Law. Now Simulators are available, perhaps early as well as again later on, during a type's life, a few untrained or semi trained Murphys should be used, just to see just how easy it may be to make any ( or many !) mistakes. ( These may be designed-out.)

The Hermes 4 had a Variation Setting Control for who ever was navigating to adjust, to allow for local Magnetic Variation. On a course by the first operator of the type, we were told that they had been instructed ( from above) " we want all our Captains to have the most accurate information... They will fly True Courses..."
The Variation Setting was calibrated in tens of degrees with a " X10 " engraved above, in white letters in a black background. I do not know just how many flights were performed satisfactorily, before one aircraft landed in the desert. ( I am sure that somebody said that " this had never happened before...")
(Some RAF bombers had had a Variation Setting Control necessarily used on their Air Position Indicators. I never saw one fitted to a civil aircraft.)
The French BEA conducted the investigation.
The Variation Setting ability, but not the knob, was removed and the " X10 " had been painted over by the time I flew the type for some years.