PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2012, 13:55
kbrockman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
potential customers

Maybe the Australian navy can start dreaming again like they did 4 years ago,
Aircraft carrier on navy's secret $4bn wish list | News.com.au

THE Royal Australian Navy has produced a secret $4 billion "wish list" that includes an aircraft carrier

Read more:
This made me think back of an editorial I read also 5-ish years ago on how a Carrier could work for Australia.

It basically envisioned a medium sized carrier with a couple of Harrier type squadrons to be based mainly on the West,North and South coast of Australia
functionning as a feeder/support/command base for several small landbases all around Australia and its islands.
There would be no need for anything other than fighters and some support helo's and the cost would be not much more than 1 big landbase but could cover a lot more area without using too much personnnel.

This 65000T carrier was probably bigger than what they had in mind but it could work ok ,I guess.

Anyway, sounded much like a pipedream ,back then,and it probably still is but seeing how things evolve in that area in the world combined with the commitment they already made towards the JSF and the fact that they are doing quite well economy-wise always could revive 'the dream'.