PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Libel – and Privilege
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2012, 11:18
Quokka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never log onto PPRuNe at work!

And I guess the possibly would always exist that a airline employees wife or errant teenage child logged onto their computer while they were out in the garden and typed away to their hearts content, unbeknownst to the employee.
Some years ago at the end of some work in the back office and after a quick perusal of PPRuNe, I got up and walked out the door of the room (open room shared by a few) to the toilet with PPRuNe still logged on in one of the browser's tabs. My mistake. It was only a minute and I was back in the room to find a colleague from my team sitting at the terminal that I had been using and typing rapidly on the keyboard. Upon seeing me enter the room he appeared somewhat nervous and uncomfortable, stood-up and walked out of the room. When I sat down, the terminal was still logged into my work account on the system and not his account. The Internet browser was closed.

When I next attempted to log onto PPRuNe at home, I discovered that I'd been given a couple of weeks holiday by the Mods at the end of which, I had to reaffirm my compliance with PPRuNe's Terms & Conditions before being released from PPRuNe purgatory.

To this day I have absolutely no idea what that Air Traffic Controller posted in my name on PPRuNe and I chose not to pursue it further as I perused the lucrative overseas contract I held in one hand that night over a glass of wine with my resignation only days away.

I would, however, like to thank the Mods for moving quickly to remove the post and to protect all concerned from any damage.

To everyone else on PPRuNe, I would give the bleedingly obvious caution... don't access PPRuNe at work.

Some of your professional colleagues are not as professional as you might expect and never assume that they were all inculcated with the same values, norms and mores of behaviour that you were brought up with in your family.

A lesson in life... and people.