PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2012, 22:17
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
BZ PeteT - now we know why you wanted Danny's date of departure from the UK

What a splendid bit of research, and what a wonderful contrast between the official description:

"The convoy arrived at Bahia 17.11 to fuel and water and, while there, took the rare opportunity to land troops (at the insistence of the Brazilian authorities) for a route march which turned into something of a Victory Parade for the inhabitants excited by the Allied landings in North Africa ten days previously."

and that of "Our Man in Bahia":

"They decided to use the opportunity to "show the flag" (Wiki tells me that Brazil had thrown in its lot with the Allies in August '42 - no doubt leaned on by Big Brother up North). The idea was good, but...... We would have a march from the quayside to the central Plaza of the town (only about half a mile), round it and back to the ship. in Tropical No. 1 SD and Bombay bowlers. No free time ashore - perhaps they didn't trust us !

You never saw such a crowd of scruffs as the RAF turned out for the good people of Bahia. We got a bit of applause from a thin crowd in the Plaza, but we had no band, and I don't think their hearts were in it. They cannot have been much impressed by their (historically) old Ally. The former Portugese colonial buildings were impressive, and the walk must have done us good, but that was about all. There would have been a big Army contingent with us too, as they had a lot on board, and I must admit they were a bit smarter."

I know which I prefer!

Jack