PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clink-clank...another medal
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2012, 16:11
langleybaston

Received 748 Likes on 259 Posts
"One of the reasons Cold War Fast Jet flying was so hazardous was because risks had to be taken to get the job done with some of the crummy equipment we had. For example, how many aircrew today continue on task in peace or war with no HUD or no radio? We were having to do that in the Falklands war and it was SOP in peacetime training. I’m not saying that’s good or bad, it’s just a fact.
As an example, if you had ever observed a Harrier Field site operating under TACEVAL conditions then you might have some idea of what I’m talking about."

Amen to that: NWE in most seasons potentially, and often, evil; skies often swarming with aircraft high speed low level, choppers [never mind Harriers] operating out of tiny clearings, popping up here there [and sometimes AAC, to add to the confliction] and everywhere, active airfields very close to each other and to civil ...... I was only a Met. man but the weather that "my boys" flew in would sometimes make you hesitate to use the car. Hats off to 2 and 4 squadrons' Hunter men in particular, and their successors at Guetersloh in the Harrier.
Not to mention 19 and 92 with very short endurance ....... I used to pray that an accident did not happen on my watch, because all sorties were briefed face to face, either at a 1000 bomber raid stand-up job, or later in the office. In bad weather OC Flying/Ops used to camp out in the Met.Office, alternating with trips up to ATC ...... I suspect he cadged coffee and fags in both. I don't think METARS and colour code trends had been invented in the Hunter days, everything had to be decoded, easy for me, not good for authorisers.