PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air controller during emergency landing: 'I know that's BS'
Old 20th Apr 2012, 08:57
Kenny

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Typhoonboy,

I'm not sure how you've missed the content within the numerous posts in this thread but the point that countless posters have made is that your comment....

The standard phraseology to get the emergency services to standby is one of two: "mayday, mayday, mayday" or "panpan, panpan, panpan". Using either of these phrases will get the controller to put airfield emergency services on standby and possibly get them to call local emergency services too
is not the ONLY way to notify ATC of an emergency situation in the US. You can also "Declare an emergency" or simply use the word "Emergency". I understand that a Mayday or PAN call are the only 2 ways elsewhere in the world but this was not the rest of the world, it was in the US and in keeping with FAA approved verbiage.

I don't understand why posters can't get their heads around local procedures that may differ from their own. Especially when they haven't even flown in the US.

Dns, who is BA CC and not even a professional pilot, made the statement that the crew screwed up their RT calls and had thus been unprofessional, when in fact they had made the calls required of them by the FAA.

I don't think Pukin misunderstood anything.