PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air controller during emergency landing: 'I know that's BS'
Old 20th Apr 2012, 08:14
typhoonboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pukindog I feel you have completely misunderstood what dns was saying and taken offence far too easily. Everyone on here agrees that the pilots did a great job and flew the aircraft very well, that cannot be denied. However, dns agreed that declaring an emergency in that way worked even if not standard. The standard phraseology to get the emergency services to standby is one of two: "mayday, mayday, mayday" or "panpan, panpan, panpan". Using either of these phrases will get the controller to put airfield emergency services on standby and possibly get them to call local emergency services too. I don't think there was a need for the rude reply as you weren't completely correct. Also I was under the illusion that ICAO was above the FAA and all ICAO states had to follow the ICAO rules at a minimum, including RT communications. I'd also like to add that a distress call such as a mayday or pan let's everyone on frequency know there is radio silence so there is more than meets the eye for a reason behind standard communications.