PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clink-clank...another medal
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2012, 07:31
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Slightly back to the thread.

exMudmover, et al. I refer you to my response to your criticisms in Post No 45. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

Most people serving today with a few years of service with a have a rack of medals and thus on the rare occasions that SP are seen in Service Dress on Mess Kit a visual biography of their service career can be downloaded in a second or two. The additional point I made was that operational serving is an enriching experience for most. This does not denigarate those who have served in earlier times when the war was cold and our role was to defend Western Europe - and medals weren't awarded for that. My comment refers to some who are serving today and have avoided going on operations.

However at risk of offending some, perhaps older, members on PPrune, life on an airfield in the 1980s, waiting for the klaxon to sound is completely different from those who have served on operations in Iraq or Afghanistan over the last 10 years. Mostly you were home to the family on a regular basis and although flying in NWE was (and is) a hazardous affair and unless the Speznaz deployed early or PIRA were particularly active, you weren't subject to regular IDF on your bases and expect that your aircraft will take incoming once outside the peri track. The Cold War training and readiness losses were very high, and morbidly these losses ensured the Peace, and ultimately victory over the USSR. Again, though, I suspect the levels of PTSD then ('LMF'?) compared with the tidal wave that is being generated now is a mute testatment to how intense current operations are.

I agree that there should be some medallic recognition for a period of military service (NZ has chosen 3 years Regular, for example), but my original post was about buying commemorative medals. I'm please to read that at least one PPruner has owned up to buying one!

PS: In this morning's bag I've received the QDJM. Smart it is, too. And free