PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hi, I'm new and curious!
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2002, 12:37
the_chairman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi chapers,

if you have a general browse of this forum you'll find all the information you'll ever need - sometimes helpful - and sometimes not

What with the industry at its current state not many airlines are sponsoring but the schemes are on the come back. By the time you finish Uni, you might find the scene alot rosier (hopefully)

With the competition so tough, airlines are allowed to pick and choose using all sorts of selection criteria.

Thus those whom are sponsoring are looking for good A-Levels (usually C and above in 2 subjects, pref Maths & Phy), and in some cases a half-decent degree as well. This forum can argue until everyone's blue to the face about the relevance of good academic qualifications when it comes to flying, but fact remains thats one of their selective variables - esp when there are thousands of other applicants.

I would do a degree if not to get one, but also for experiance/fun.

If you can one day afford self-fund route and pass well, then a Degree wont have that much effect on selection, but you never know with fussy airlines.

Have a look at the current sponsorship schems offered by Easyjet etc.

Happy Flying - Welcome to this crazy world

Just a quick P.S

I'm assuming you have had a trial lesson and a couple of hours under your belt. If not then DO! - See if you enjoy handling the aircraft and flying.

Oh and if a trial lesson is all you've done, dont be fooled at how easy and fun it is. (the trial is supposed to be extra fun and entice you to part with more money. (Oh no I'm going to get blasted by alot of flight instructors now arent I? )

What I meant was that normal lessons are hard work but ultimately more satifying then ur jolly jaunt spotting ur house on the trial.

And have you considered what life as an airline pilot is really like? Although not a commercial pilot myself I am imagine it is hard work as the guys on this forum will testify but the rewards can be high also.

Anyway I'll stop rambling now and escape b4 any instructors hunt me down. Ciao, drop me a note if you like to chat or more qu.