PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air New Zealands future Job Prospects
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2012, 19:54
distracted cockroach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the originator of the post.....if you are one of the "younger" S/Os, your long term prospects and total career earnings at NZ may be better than you think. With many long term F/Os now into their 50s, their actual length of time as a wide body Captain will be quite limited....indeed some have told me they are not expecting a command before they retire.
That points to "the bubble" of retirements expected within the next 10 years meaning commands earlier, and for a longer period for the current "young guys". Admittedly that may be 15 or 20 years after joining, but for some that could mean a widebody command in their mid to late 40s, as opposed to the current late 50s or not at all.
I've been continually downgrading my own career expectations....maybe a 767 command, or posssibly a 787 before I'm 60, but I had the misfortune to work for a couple of now defunct airlines, so I don't have a lot of years left.
As everyone else has advised, it's all about choices. I doubt anyone ever promised you quick promotion in Air NZ...afterall, even the early batches of S/Os did up to 10 years in that role. Be thankful you have CHC living costs, not AKL ones, but if you want to get a quick command, then go elsewhere. If it's Jetstar or PacBlue, remember that once you have the jet command, that will be it. No further advancement until you retire (unless you leave NZ) At least at Air NZ the carrot of a "big jet" is always there.
Swings and roundabouts....evaluate the options and take your pick.
I'm staying put, as a lifestyle choice. It's not about the aircraft type or even the seat I sit in...it's about where I get the best money/days off/lifestyle balance. I choose to live in NZ, and compared to other occupations , I think I do ok.
Cheers
DC