PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - moving to QATAR
Thread: moving to QATAR
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2012, 14:22
Guiraca_Caerulea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misc questions

Hello,

Before applying and then in anticipation of moving to Doha this summer, have trawled through as many threads as I could find. A couple of questions still lurking around that I'd be grateful if someone could answer:

-Siblings/close friends travel; having a twin sister, I cannot imagine her only coming to Doha once or twice (using my current understanding of the family travel benefits) on an ID90/50. Is there a way that I can purchase cheap(er) tickets for her? Or other close friends who may wish to visit?

-International mobile data use; This will be my first airline job. I quite fancy being able to send a whatsapp/iMessage saying I've arrived safely wherever / if I have a day off not in Doha, be able to Skype, etc. I have had a look on the Qtel and Vodaphone websites, but can't see anything about international data rates. What do most people do?

-How much money would people recommend taking out there originally? To me it seems like there are a lot of things to organise/pay for. I can see that it's possible to have an advance on your salary, but is it really feasible to live on the reduced salary for the couple of months following that (transport I think is my biggest concern as the SO transport allowance doesn't seem to cover Oasis' cheapest deal)?

-Is the transport allowance in with our salaries? That way the money could be used on taxis? Are the taxis reliable enough?

-After the first three days, what do we DO whilst we wait on our RP's? Conscious that it will be boiling hot and I'll most probably be skint!

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer.

Best wishes,
GC.