PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Man-machine interface and anomalies
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2012, 13:39
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not wishing to add to an apparently nicely concluded topic, I have to defend one or two misunderstandings (sorry).

Safetypee,
“… if we get p----d off with it then …”; then this is the loss of control of your thinking, discipline, CRM.
Sorry, if you mis-understand - this does not indicate a loss of control of one`s thinking. the interactive process on modern ECAM procedures, works very well.

The situation of the AF-330 over the Atlantic, was so severe, that is; if you were to go through the ECAM procedures, on that night, (which is what they would have started to do . . ) then you would have ground to a halt in a state of catatonic awe, as nothing was holding any logic at all. I assume safety pee does not regularly fly ECAM and glass cockpit/fly-by-wire?

Once again, then, if, the system is OBVOUSLY behaving non-sensically and absurd - then the pilot would disengage what he considered relevant, in order to "TAKE CONTROL OF THE AIRCRAFT" before the non-operational system does any damage to the flight.

In the case of AF - 330 / Atlantic, had they have done the above “… if we get p----d off with it then …”; and disengaged autopilot, reset thrust and disengaged a/t then - we, that is you and me, and everyone else on this post - would not be having this conversation - nor would there be > 300 passengers in the equation.
In an unforeseeable situation or an anomaly - such as being surrounded by weather on all sides of the worst kind out of radar range, and the system having gone beserk due to incorrect processing of ADIRS inputs - then sometimes that is all there is to do -
then this is the loss of control of your thinking, discipline, CRM.
Far from being loss of control of one`s (or my) thinking - on the contrary old chap, the mere thought, that, "ooops, lets not die huh?" seems to me to be a totally in control and a healthy one and affording the most apt discipline, as >300 passengers would no doubt agree with me - had they have had the opportunity to do so.

We, or at least, I, do not take action or apply thinking without reason.

This is not some pseudo-important jolly fun topic on an aviation website, just for fun. Some pilots have posted on here to give an honest and in depth opinion - based on life saving flight safety. If you want to judge then find a flower show or some other topic to go and research and leave the professionals to their own profession - you Geek!

Also, Turbine-D, turbine-d, well, probably expected of non-aircrew. My point which you criticised was not to be taken literally. We do not "play" with the system, what I was trying to say was that the automated system holds far less importance than the professionals who fly them. Airlines, during their selection and recruitment process, test for pilots that would have that tendency - maybe they then become engineers.

We are fully aware of the example you have shown us, which is why we do not do it. Also, we have ample opportunity to `practice` with all the avionics kit, in flight school - again and again and again, so we have got any inkling of curiosity out of our system. Sorry, if that was not made apparent.

[U]CONCLUSION then?

It is strikingly obvious that "pilotless" air transport passenger aircraft will be a long time coming, unless, at least, at least, someone is driving it from the ground. Even then it will be a most risky leap into stupidity and disaster, as no system can evaluate with the same depth, range, clarity, foresight and value to human life as that of the cerebral system of the Airline Pilot.

Last edited by Natstrackalpha; 19th Apr 2012 at 14:39.