PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N-reg situation update
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2012, 09:14
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There have been a number of comments along the lines of ...

Originally Posted by mad_jock
.... after the bulk of the N reg fleet is gone.
I am clearly missing something. As I understand it, the rules have pretty much guaranteed the long term security of N (and similar reg) foreign based aircraft. We now have it documented that it is allowed under EASA/EU law, that all aircraft need to comply with the respective aspects of EU-OPS (which I think was broadly true before) and that the FAA maintenance regime is acceptable. The only issue remaining is in parts FCL/MED (and the slightly bizare need to have two licences and medicals to fly an N vs an EU aircraft).

This last element certainly removes a major driver for moving PA28 C172 type aircraft onto the N. However, for more complex aircraft the N still preserves
  • your ability to operate globally (you can get maintained anywhere)
  • prevents having to make expensive modifications to get onto the local reg - which then may need to be removed to sell the aircraft back into the global market
  • the ability to install modern safety/functionality upgrades
  • the ability to operate (at the turbine level) under a demonstrably safer regime.
  • The ability to operate in an internally consistent and stable regulatory environment

For Joe Bloggs in a spam can, these reasons probably are not enough to spend £5k moving to N-reg. But they are probably enough to prevent moving back to EU reg. For turbine operators these are going to be way more significant than the short term hassle of retraining crew or hiring different crew.

I accept that a bunch of EU citizens being thrown out of work is a bad thing for the individuals, but I don't see it as a reason for the operators/owners to change registration.

So I can see this change stemming the tide of light piston aircraft moving off EU registers, but I certainly don't see this driving tide of turbines (or even Nreg pistons) onto the EU registers.