PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Rage Yob Jailed
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2001, 19:52
Stiff Lil' Fingers

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_260213.html?menu=

An airline stewardess has spoken of her delight after a drunken British tourist who smashed a bottle into her face was jailed for
more than four years.

Fiona Weir will now sue travel company Airtours International and legal proceedings are expected to get under way in the next two weeks.

Steven Handy, who was originally from London, was jailed for four years and two months and ordered by a court in Malaga to pay £6,000 to his 33-year-old victim.

He left Ms Weir, from Wimbledon, south-west London, lying in a pool of blood after the assault on an Airtours flight from Gatwick to Malaga in October 1998.

Ms Weir said that she would now concentrate on continuing her career in the travel business. "I am delighted by the sentence," she said.

"Steven Handy's conviction and prison sentence sends out the strongest message to date on behalf of passengers and air cabin crew that criminal behaviour on board an aircraft will not be tolerated and will be dealt with by the full force of the law.

"The last two and half years have been an extremely traumatic experience for me and I have suffered both physically and mentally, as well as financially as a direct result of the attack by Steven Handy on me while I was working as a member of the senior cabin crew for Airtours in October 1998.

"Although I tried to return to work after the assault the emotional and physical scars caused by the attack are still healing."

She continued: "I call for all airlines and governments to cooperate and establish methods to ensure that no air crew or passengers' lives are put at risk like this ever again.

"I hope now, with this criminal case behind me, I can go on to rebuild my career and campaign to ensure that the threat of aterrifying incident like this never happens again. I can now concentrate on my civil legal case against Airtours."