PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last full-length runway built in the UK ?
Old 18th Apr 2012, 23:14
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slightly off-topic. What will be the NEXT full-length runway in the UK?
Right forum, wrong thread - plenty if you look in each London airport, especially LHR & LGW threads + read the New Thames Airport thread. That one's been quiet for a while, feel free to stir up Mr Silver!

This would allow something called the Swansea Bay Airport to come into being, with 2,400m immediately available and 3,400m in a year or two. Such capacity would allow for a major MRO and training facility (including A380 revisible runway capacity), plus a rather small local domestic passenger operation.
I'm sorry, but I've not seen such pie in the sky for a long time. Why on earth would any operator want to bring an A380 to the west of Swansea, unless some maintenance ops relocated from Rhoose?

And consider that less than £1m would produce a facility employing maybe 5-700 people?
I'm afraid £1m won't even get you an appointment with a planning consultant you will need to speak to so you can even begin to prepare a case for such a scheme.

Nearest comparable current runway project is BHX's extension - 400m? for £145m - although a lot of that is going on A45 diversion. You are still out by around 50-100x though I'm afraid.

Right next to a mainline railway and just a few miles from the end of the M4.
A better proposition than Southend or Manston, probably.
Why? Unfortunately the airport which is most likely to get anywhere, once the political dice have stopped rolling, is at the OTHER end of the M4. Or maybe Gatters, and that island airport as the rank outsider.

This is a branchline, not a mainline - nearest current station is Pembrey & Burry Port - 3 1/2 hours to London, with a change. Sorry - one direct train each day!

The only way you could even contemplate getting passengers out here would be if our troubled industry suddenly boomed overnight and doubled in size. Even then, you'd need a high speed rail link at least to Swansea, and that won't be happening until at least 2060.

Sorry, but this one is a non-starter and if any AMs think otherwise, they are going to be throwing even more money away than they have already squandered on the pointless Anglesey air link.