PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC RATING
Thread: IMC RATING
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 22:05
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was involved in a "save the IMCR" campaign a few years ago, which was started by Fuji here.

Some people thought it was stupid and I got some phone calls suggesting I should not be involved but some good lobbying and awareness raising was done.

Reading this debate ebbing and flowing, I don't see anything has actually changed since that infamous EASA+CAA "IMCR conference" in 2008 (which I went to) at which Eric Sivel famously said to a packed hall that he is in favour of the IMCR "but don't tell anybody because it will cause me trouble"

At the time the IMCR was going to disappear once EASA took over, unless it became pan-European (which would obviously never happen).

The one thing which possibly has changed is the CAA realising that the IMCR can continue on non-CofA planes post-EASA, but that is a virtually useless privilege since nearly all of them cannot fly IFR legally.

We have also got the FCL008/CBM IR proposal but that will never be a direct IMCR replacement because the final test is the full UK CAA IR flight test, which takes a fair bit of training to have any chance of passing.

I think the IMCR will be saved at the last minute - largely because EASA has much less power today than in 2008 when they could just be totally arrogant - through some paperwork dodge.