PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nats atcos to spain?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 19:11
Daermon ATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Out of the Gap:

Nope, I'm not working at one of those towers although this being a small world I obviously have good friends there. I can't avoid being biased given that I'm a spanish atco and thus I have had to live through "interesting times" for the last few years... wouldn't wish it to any of you.

I try not to hide the fact that I am biased and try to provide information so that anybody can make their own informed choices, a luxury I was not given. I have stated as my personal opinion that I wouldn't advise any friend to become atco in Spain so when I present the facts that lead me to that conclusion it is unavoidable that I sound biased. Nevertheless I try to provide all the facts so that anybody can make up their own mind.

As far as mr. Pamplinas is concerned, he may be a bit more vehement than myself but rest assured that we are of the same opinion... except where he states that the maximum fine atcos face in Spain is 225.000 €... please refer to my post #19 in this same thread where I have linked the modification to the Law raising the possible fines to 4.500.000 €.

Answering a few of your statements:

permanent contract: Your definition of permanent seems to be somewhat different than my own. Avoiding conflict over specific words I suppose we can agree that now if your company wanted to fire you for whatever reasons (e.g. earning 55.000 while the rest of your twr earns 30.000), they would have no legal or monetary obstacle to do so.

salary: I agree that for a small tower it is quite acceptable, in fact similar to entry salary at Aena as stated before. However there are no promotion possibilities so that would be the maximum you could expect from FerroNats... and I doubt any new provider after that would be willing to pay more.

holidays: The error here is you do not have those bank holidays since airports are open through the year. In Aena we have 45 days vacations precisely to reflect that fact. In any case it doesn't really matter, the maximum hours per year are 1670 so expect to work close to that regardless of how many days you have off.

OJTI: Being an instructor is an additional responsibility and as such it should be the choice of each individual atco if they want to take that promotion. Being this Spain, all atcos have been ordered to "voluntarily" apply for that rating. The exam is done via computer and it is not possible to fail it, even if you try as you can not get to the next screen unless you put the correct answer. Errors are not recorded.

While I don't see any need for hostility towards the replacements I can understand a certain resentment. In any case I'd just give them the training and get out of there.