PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL hour breakdown
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 17:07
Grob Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well EGKB, as you are four hours in (so on my reckoning on climbing, turning and descending and/or slow flight if your syllabus is like ours), I'm assuming that you haven't done any circuit work yet - well, not your own anyway!

I am sure that many wiser heads on here will agree with me that learning to fly (unless of course you are a genius )is not a quick or easy task. The minimum is 45hours and yes, we have just had an Air Cadet gain his PPL after 45hrs 30. But I think the majority take longer than that. Some of it seems at the time like a long hard slog..and circuits for me was one of those areas.

I will try to explain as I see it from a student (I am still one ) perspective. Circuits are an area of flying where the pilot is at their busiest, and many of the aircraft handling skills are required. Not only is one handling the aircraft, but also talking to the Tower, carrying out checks and keeping a good lookout! OK, going around the circuit:
  1. Take Off
  2. Climbing turn onto downwind
  3. Level off at cct height onto Downwind
  4. Fly downwind leg accurately at circuit height, not forgetting downwind call and pre-land cx to include first stage flap
  5. accurate descending turn onto Finals
  6. Fly accurate Final approach to include short finals cx, second stage flap, finals call
  7. Land

The health warning (before someone else points this out ) is that what I have described is a military oval circuit which we fly as a matter of course...what I believe Civilian FTOs teach as a "bad weather circuit". What I have outlined here may not seem a lot, however, all of it, but particularly landing takes a lot of skill and fine judgement. It is something which I certainly took a long time to really hone. Remember, you are flying circuits as a lead into flying your first solo and if your instructor is doing their job properly they will want to make you spot on before you go solo. Some people just take longer than others and there is much to take in.

Also bear in mind that things may not go according to plan. You may fr instance set up a perfect approach, speed, attitude etc just fine, but then the Tower tell you to for whatever reason to go-around...or your approach is too fast, you land and have Pilot Induced oscillation or balloon and you have to put on full power, take off and go around again. You will also continue to fly circuits even when you have gone solo as this is a requirement (and good practice!) You will still have good and bad days

Sure, I was probably doing many things wrong to begin with! Yes, I took a long time to perfect it. But on the other hand, I took to PFLs straight away . I had sometimes long breaks in my training (through no fault of my own), either through lack of instructor, poor weather....many things can get in the way of even getting into the air. Good continuity is key. You need to fly AT LEAST once a week.

Your instructor will be able to tell what you are capable of...all I will say is try not to get frustrated if he/she seems picky. My instructor is self confessed Mr Picky but I like that as I know he is making me do it perfectly and in the end I will be a better pilot for it. But as others have said, learning to fly is not a race, go with the flow, enjoy it, take in everything which your instructor tells you, ask questions, make notes, do whatever makes you learn.

Remember YOU are learning to fly BECAUSE YOU WANT TO, not because some schoolteacher says you have to do it, not because (if you are doing A Levels) you need it for University entrance...you are doing it for YOU!

To your other point, I am learning at RAF Cranwell, bit too far probably for you However, as I think I and probably some others have mentioned on another thread, if you are willing to travel, RAF Halton have a Flying Club and it is worth talking to them. I believe they operate from grass strips rather than long concrete and I think there are a mix of aircraft types there, but they will be able to help you with that.

Sorry this is rather an essay but I mean it in the best possible way to help you

GQ

ps, ....and i'm now 53 hours in...and still training...