PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leuchars memories
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 16:45
walbut

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
In the early 1970's I was a young and inexperienced Flight Systems Engineer with Hawker Siddeley Aviation at Brough in East Yorkshire. One of the jobs I was involved in was investigating problems in the engine fuel feed system of the Phantom, particularly the Royal Navy FG Mk1s with fast reheat Spey 203 engines.

After several short trials at Leuchars using 892 Sqdn aircraft it began to look like the engine was to blame and MoD were going to hold Rolls Royce responsible, As a result we embarked on a week long trial at Leuchars during which HSA and RR would fit their instrumentation side by side and we would compare the results. This was my first ever visit involving an overnight stay in the Officers Mess of an RAF station and I was somewhat apprehensive. On waking up in my room on the first proper working day, I found an aged gentleman leaving me a cup of tea on my bedside table. So this is how the officers live then, I thought, must be a batman.

While fitting our instrumentation we had a bit of an accident and as result I got a couple of pints of Avtur spilled down my front. Fortunately I had a spare pair of trousers but only one pair of shoes, which were brown suede Hush Puppies - all the rage at the time. I attracted a few unapproving looks in the mess that night as the powerful smell of fuel permeated the bar.

The following morning my cup of tea appeared again as if by magic but when I got dressed I could not find my shoes anywhere. Bloody hell I thought, some thieving bugger has stolen my shoes, I would never have expected that in an officers mess. Unabashed I padded out of my room in my stocking feet to investigate. At the end of the corridor was a small cubbyhole and in it was the batman who brought my tea. On the table in front of him were my shoes. I marched up to him and in a very accusing tone said 'You've got my shoes' 'Aye sir' he said, 'I've scrubbed and I've scrubbed and I've scrubbed but I canna get rid of the smell of the fuuuel'

I returned to my room somewhat chastened with my shoes looking the best they had been since new, but still smelling of Avtur.