PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged Keratoconus thread
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 14:46
zondaracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny212... so you were issued an initial class 1 even though you were diagnosed with mild keratoconus? That sounds reassuring for other folks who might be in the same position. I would recommend you do some research on collagen crosslinking (CXL, C3R) and consult with several different clinics that perform the procedure. Also, consult with the medical folk at the CAA, because I heard that having the crosslinking procedure can ground you from flying for a year.

Josh90... Yes, it is true that the FAA does not consider keratoconus a disqualifying factor, however, I have heard of people who reported it at their Class 1 medical and were denied, not given a special issuance, etc. Is your keratoconus mild? When I ask this, I am asking if your vision is still normal (20/20, 10/10). If so, I would see an ophthalmologist and ask for a second opinion. This way, you can do your FAA medical with a clean bill of health.

I have heard that the recommendations for EASA medicals was going to remove keratoconus as a disqualifying factor for initial class 1 medicals, however I don't know if that will come into effect or not. Best to keep in touch with the CAA medical personnel to keep updated.