PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nats atcos to spain?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 13:55
Daermon ATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Suolarium:
I am a spanish ATC but I wouldn't consider myself too informed. Nevertheless I'll try to share what I've got.

Ferronats got 10 of the 13 towers offered: Alicante, Valencia, Ibiza, Sabadell, Sevilla, Jerez, Melilla, Cuatro Vientos, Vigo and La Coruña.
Sabadell and Cuatro Vientos are only for VFR flights and I believe Melilla has only connections to mainland Spain. I'm not sure if there are any flights to Italy but probably your best choices would be Alicante, Valencia or Sevilla.

Neither of these airports has any radar rating. This was intentional so that they could be staffed with freshly minted atco-students from a basic course of a few weeks for 30.000 €/year.

Your salary is in line with a basic one at a small twr with Aena (you'll have about 35% tax rate with that salary) so I'll take it that it is an upgrade from your current one considering that the military does not usually pay too well, at least in Spain. You know Ferronats only has 5 years + option to another one? Do you have plans in case you have to return to italy?

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the current legal framework for atcos in Spain? This is really the important issue since you would be subject to all of them... except the arbitration between Usca (spanish atc labor union) and Aena which in some aspects softened some of the harsher edges... and there are a quite a few.

I'd have a look at this thread as well as another one: http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/479...g-changed.html

There are links to several of these laws and regulations so you can get an idea of what you are getting into

Mind you, I'm not trying to convince you not to apply. I'm sure Ferronats will eventually find someone, even if they have to go to Australia (nothing wrong with them, I was just referring to the distance) but I wouldn't advise my friends to take this job so I'll try to let other people know the situation so that they can decide for themselves.

Please feel free to come back with any questions.