PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clink-clank...another medal
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:38
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Since you have some medals you are able to afford the luxury of indifference towards them. Those of us without any can only wonder!
Bob,

I certainly didn't intend to portray a notion of indifference. If I had be aiming for that, I wouldn't have suggested the re-introduction of something along the lines of the Defence Medal, which I would intend to provide some form of medallic recognition to anyone who had provided productive service i.e had passed out from professional training and possibly completed their first tour.

FWIW, I think medals are an important part of the moral component of fighting; they serve as an outward symbol of what you have achieved (up to a point) or done as well as, I would hope, providing something for the junior personnel coming through the system to look up to for inspiration.

My own personal view is that the UK has not quite got the medal issue right. I wouldn't want to look like some third world dictator, but equally, I think the notion of risk and rigour as the sole criteria has been taken to the extreme. May be it is a cost issue, may be one of political embarrassment that awarding a medal is indicative of UK personnel ending up in some pretty nasty places, thus demonstrating the politicians' collective failure once again, I don't know. But I currently think our medals policy is too restrictive. If I had my way, I would like to see

A Defence Medal

The introduction of some form of Ops Support Medal (similar to the concept the US had in hte post 9-11 era) whereby if you are on a named op but not in country and so won't get the campaign medal, you would be awarded this one instead. That would capture many individuals deployed to places like the CAOC, Falklands etc who arguably have a role to play in enabling the smooth running of ops but aren't in harms way, thus preserving the credibility of the official campaign medal.

Neither am I convinced by the rules surrounding 'double medalling' which strike me as being a blunt instrument created by some desk polishing jotter blotter who doesn't even have a passport let alone go on ops. Frankly, I think HM has more things to worry about than being gravely offended because someone who has served multiple tours in AFG has the audacity to want to wear a NATO medal as well as the OSM.

Just my tuppence worth to hopefully set the record straight. Unfortunately, I think I am probably in the minority in those ideas and in the current climate, there is likely to be no interest.