PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aptitute test comparisons
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:32
Poose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aptitude is useful

I agree that aptitude is a useful indicator; where many thousands of applications from non-pilots are received.

But when it is being used as a hard and fast rule to cut qualified pilots out, then I don't agree with it at all.
I can accept it's use in the military selection process, thousands of applicants, where some element of sensible cut off is required. Bear in mind, I got weeded out for the FAA and RAF here. Just the way it goes.

But when airlines are using it as a means to sift out qualified and experienced pilots then I'm dead against it. As mentioned earlier, it makes a nonsense of why we have Skills Tests etc.

It is interesting to hear that at the recent Jet2 selection, inexperienced blokes had to do the 'slalom' test, but experienced pilots didn't and could even repeat a failed section.
Doesn't sound very fair to me.
It appears to me that the very test being employed was 'weeding out' some of the very people that the company wanted to employ...
I also wonder how that would stack up regarding employment law; one group of people getting an advantage over the other? For whatever reaon, I always thought that discrimination of any form was illegal...
In my opinion, this defeats the entire object of having this test as part of this selection process; if you're going to interfere with the results by letting one group have another attempt, then why bother with it at all?
As far as I am aware, COMPASS was being used to fully 'weed people' out and reduce the numbers...