PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia IB6166, BOS-MAD, 2nd Dec, Cowboys !!!!
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:20
Greek God

Mmmmm PPruuune!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like Rog747 I have just waded through the swampland of this particular thread!

If ever there was a need to examine the problems we face in integrating nontech skill management and CRM into any industry, let alone aviation, then this has to be a shining example of just about all the failings, traps, issues etc that need to be resolved, understood and accepted. Although there are clearly a few trolls there are equally more than a few apparent professionals whose attitudes and prejudices are nothing short of astonishing.

Admittedly the thread is from 5 years ago and I would hope we have moved on a little from then but then so have we become more multicultural and having to deal with the inherant challenges that brings.

Safety and risk management go hand in hand - if it is within your power / authority to reduce the risk then you are be duty bound to take whatever course of action is appropriate. Equally one could argue that the C in CRM could easily be left out in certain circumstances leaving just Resource Management. Pax, gate staff, baggage handlers, ATC, caterers, cleaners, other crew etc etc all can be in possession of valuable information which is useless unless communicated to the Capt. I actively encourage anyone with doubts or concerns to speak up and then either act on their observations or explain why I don't. That last slice of cheese can be turned at any time!

As professional crew we all need to be aware of the intense media probing & scrutiny we will be subjected to if we were involved in any unfortunate situation. We are however, continually under the microscope day by day by the public, and with the explosion of social networking sites, smartphones with HD video etc you can be sure that any contentious issues will be on the Tube / public domain in seconds. Consequently we need to ensure we are squeaky clean in conducting our business, and it's not going to get better!