PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged Keratoconus thread
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:11
Josh90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

After completing my degree at Leeds University I was accepted onto the CTC Cadet Programme. I was due to start in Dec 2011 but had to withdraw my application as I was diagnosed with Keratoconus. I was told that I would not pass the Class 1 Medical as Keratoconus is a 'disqualifying condition for an initial Class 1 application' (JAR-FCL 3.220(b)(3)). After some research I found that this is not the case for an FAA Class 1 medical. I don't want to give up my dream of becoming a pilot, and would be willing to travel to America for training. Would it be possible to convert the Class 1 medical from FAA to CAA after training, thus meaning it's not an initial application for the CAA Class 1 medical but a renewal? I have been informed by the medical examiner that the JAA regulations allow recertification of an individual with Keratoconus provided that they meet the Class 1 medical standards, but this clause does not apply to initial applicants for the Class 1 medical examination.

The medical examiner did mention that in 2012 the CAA will be implementing new European medical standards (EASA). Although these are not finalised, it is possible that there may be a change to the certification of initial applicants with Kerotoconus. Is it likely that the CAA regulations regarding Keratoconus will change?

Thanks for any help in advance