PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what is it like to be a corporate pilot
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 09:58
inner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi wildduke

I give you my experience. In my company we do have a roster however it is just a paper thing. They have the tendency to change it last minute. (there goes your plan to do something on your off day). It is a fact that u fly all kind of destinations, the good ones and the bad ones (lagos,....). What i personally dislike of corporate is the lack of stability. I'm more a person to fly frequently. I prefer to know in advance my roster and to where i fly to, with who and what time i'll be finished. In GA you dont know anything of that. There are times i fly zero and times where i fly 70h a month. It dont think this is a good way to maintain your flying skills. Most, but not all, GA companies dont really care about sop's (it is outthere but thats it). Another thing, very important thing, is marketvalue. Unless you are flying with a challenger 604 or a G 5, your marketvalue is zero. You have more chance to find a job with a boeing or airbus rating than, lets say, with a lear 60 rating. Nowadays if you want to change job, it is all about typerating. If you don't have the proper typerating, you simply dont get in especially in GA. Another typical thing, however depending again on the company, they require or harass you doing other jobs as well. Like updating jeps, office work, ops etc. All waisted time, because these are waisted times you should normally be flying. I would stay where you are and try fly to big toys. Thats the way i feel it. Good luck!!