PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 09:13
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really enjoy reading the F-35 threads, sensible questions have ALWAYS been answered in a polite, constructive manner and by people who know what they are saying and always manage to keep their cool when answering even the most silly of questions.

A very big THANK YOU

I am sure the F-35B is a very nice aircraft but is it the right choice?

Is the Typhoon allegedly the best aircraft of its type outside of the USA
Is the Challenger tank possibly the best tank in the World?
Is the type 45 destroyer possibly the best warship of its size?

It is quite right and proper to give our military the best of equipment IF we intend being a nation that wants to be a force on the World stage but I just do not think a carrier with a single type of fixed wing capability is good enough, will it be as good as the Chinese, Indian or possibly the Russians when their carrier comes out of refit?

Stealth is obviously good, but if we lack that ability namely the F-35C, then how good is the F-18 Growler? In Libya this aircraft allowed the RAF to safely go where they needed to go to deploy their weapons, could we not perhaps develop EW as opposed to stealth?

The F-35C carrier gives us options, the F-35B is surely a cul-de-sac with no options and no future after the B either gets chopped or ends its career as the last STOVL aircraft. Would the F-35B ever land on the deck of a ship that has not been deemed suitable to accept this unique aircraft? It is no lightweight Harrier that had a far lighter footprint, it is an amazing aircraft that is far heavier and as such might not be welcomed on an untried untested deck? (question, NOT a statement)

I am in the corner that predicts more back pedalling, more U-turns and more shrinkage.

For those that criticise the development of this latest aircraft, I ask this question... How can any private company possibly afford to develop a modern military aircraft without financial support from the relevant government. It is not rocket science to predict there will be problems and these issues will cost both time and money to rectify but can we ask private companies to be the sole funder of this procurement? (question)