PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clink-clank...another medal
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 08:41
Halton Brat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it quite sad that sundry posters in this thread display such a clearly disrespectful attitude towards those who served in previous and, generally, more peaceful times.

If the measure of a man's/woman's service to their country is merely to be ascertained by a collection of medals, many of which were awarded for being simply 'in country', then we have reached a low point indeed.

A couple of years ago, I had an opportunity to chat with General David Petraeus at a US Military Cemetery. If you want to see medals, see an image of him in uniform - perhaps we should take the American route on this subject in order to pacify some PPRune scribes here?

Remember, that Old Boy standing proudly at the village War Memorial on a cold November Sunday morn may, one day, be you. Yes, he may even exude a faint aroma of "wee" if you are downwind of him; but please do not trample on his pride here - he, like you, was ready to do what was required of him & more in the defence of the Realm.

I myself can boast no worthwhile medals, save one awarded by a PMC computer for turning up regularly during a 24yr 'Cold War' career. Though I respect & admire those who have put themselves in harm's way during the Bush/Blair Wars, I remain quietly proud of my service, in the knowledge that I was ready to Stand To & do my duty, and more.

I remember here also those who died 'in service' in peacetime, in the air and on the ground. Medals rarely graced their chests; they have no need of them now.

Finally, I am saddened to hear serving Officers discussing their numerical medal tally here; this is most distasteful and ungentlemanly, Old Boy.

HB