PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL hour breakdown
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 07:43
LD1Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slightly O/T

GtE - not sure if that was aimed directly at me... My dad has flown microlights for 20+ years, and has a lapsed PPL(A). However, flying from small, often unlicenced fields across the country has left him with little confidence in his RT and traffic procedures. His attitude to airspace is often 'keep low and don't talk to anyone unless you have to'.

That is one of the reasons I wanted to fly from a major airport, and be mixing it with the big stuff from day one. The RT, wake turbulence, variable circuit direction etc. all help build confidence IMO for the time when I actually want to go somewhere and do it 'properly'.

Granted it means paying a little more, but there is little choice in the North East (EGNC and EGNV both 2-hour round trips by car) when it comes to quality training establishments, and I feel while I am training it is money well spent. Even if I spend the rest of my post-qualified flying days hopping in and out of fields in Northumberland, at least I will know I can deal with the bigger, busier airports should I ever need to.