PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL before ATPL?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 07:17
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by pudoc
Say there's a job opening CPL only required. You apply as does somebody with a frozen ATPL.

This guy is further qualified than you in terms of theory exams and practicality. You might get the job but you'll be competing with a lot of unemployed people who are further qualified than yourself.

Or say you have your CPL and then Jet2 start hiring low hour guys, only requirement is frozen ATPL. You've missed out.
I can see only one reason to only do the CPL exams. Because you only want to do CPL type flying and have no interest in flying multi-crew aeroplanes. I'm in that category, and quite happy - but I can think of no other good reason. Even then, I do wonder if I shouldn't have done the ATPL writtens so that I have the chance to fly multi-crew in the future should I change my mind.

(Then again, EASA will have changed all the regulations at-least three times by the time that's likely to happen.)

Pudoc's second point is absolutely right, if what you want is that multi-crew jet job.

On the first point, however I think he's wrong. If an employer is looking for a tug or taxi pilot, or some kind of GA aerial work, then they would prefer to have somebody whose interests are doing that sort of flying, rather than just building hours and marking time until they can get an airline job.

I recall an occasion where I was sat drinking tea with the chief tug pilot of a well known gliding club, and an fATPL holder (ex integrated I think) came in asking about tug flying. It was very clear that said Chief Pilot would not consider touching this chap, whose sole flying seemed to have been about getting the fATPL and showed no real interest in GA except as a route to his airline job.

G