PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clink-clank...another medal
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 06:34
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I do take your point - of sorts. I had been in 14 years before I received my first campaign medal; since then I have received another one every 2-3 years - and at 50, there is probably every likelihood that I might serve on another operation in due course, before I am finally culled.

It is not appropriate for me to comment on the current CAS - but a cursory look at Sir Glen Torpy's 'rack' is revealing, especially for a Cold War warrior. Unfortunately I know of fellow senior officers who have avoided service in various deserts - in part because it would upset their postings plot and therefore their promotions - or because, in one high-profile case, his wife didn't want him to go. Does it make them less effective? In terms of day to day staff work, probably not, but I know that my Service life is considerably richer for having undergone some risks on operations. Certainly, when I was in MB I could add a degree of understanding and urgency to many of the operationally-related issues that crossed my desk, whereas those who hadn't served on operations simply did not posess that empathy or knowledge. There is also a credibility issue with colleagues and subordinates.

I was filling an 'Any Branch' post; our team of 6 was an eclectic bunch representing most areas and capabilities of the RAF and it worked well. It's sad to note that these posts are now annotated 'flying related', thus narrowing the employment field for non Flying Branch officer. Anyway, that's another story...