PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NH90 "Flawed"
Thread: NH90 "Flawed"
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 00:24
Trojan1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having flown this type fairly extensively, I think it is fair to say that it is an awesome machine. It has an unfairly deserved reputation due to sensational press reporting and uninformed rumour spreading. Yes it has had some issues with engines, floors, windscreens, ramp, tyres, IRS but in the wider scheme of things they are not unusual issues for a new aircraft, and are all in the process of being rectified. Part of the problem is that people look for problems in this aircraft that they will gladly overlook in other aircraft. Blackhawk windscreens crack, nobody likes stiletto heels in their aircraft at airshows, the IRS is much more reliable than a S-70 AHRS, the engines now have additional FOD screens.
Let's give this aircraft a chance.
Yes, both S-70 models has extensive issues that needed to be worked through in the first 5-10 years of Australian service. Availability was alarmingly low for a while too. The crew's I spoke to were Navy (I was Army) and they seemed fairly happy with the progress of engineering fixes, and expressed general confidence in the type. The Army guys seemed quite the opposite, however. They seemed pessimistic about the helicopter ever being able to perform a tactical role due to a number of fundamental design flaws.
What are your thoughts on the range figures above? Talking Air Self Deploy, just crew, any additional fuel etc.