PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Were you flying Nimrods in 1974?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2012, 22:49
Fris B. Fairing

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts
I have managed to contact Bob Trowern who was the captain of the Nimrod in question. He recalls:

At the time I was a Squadron Leader on No. 42 Sqn and XV255 with my crew were on a two month detachment based at Tengah, Singapore. We arrived at Darwin in the dark at, as far as my memory serves me, around 2300 local time on 26th December 1974. We needed fuel to return to Tengah but that at Darwin was all contaminated. The obvious place for us to refuel to return to Singapore was Bali. Unfortunately we could not obtain permission to go there. Local information assured us fuel was available at Tindal, about 30 minutes to the south. We loaded our 38 UK civilians aboard and hopped down to Tindal, only to discover if we took fuel we'd take most of their stock and have to fuel over wing! Thus there was no alternative but to head east to RAAF Townsville. We arrived there at first light and were extremely well looked after. We arrived back at Tengah early evening local time on 27th December."
Nimman, thanks for coming up with the captain's name. Google and a bit of luck did the rest.

Rgds