PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2012, 20:11
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to respond to the most recent posts, please.

Yes, the programme has had big problems. It's late and over budget. But, it's not '10 years later than advertised' - ISD has slipped from 2012/3 (and I attended the first programme briefs) to around 16/17. Yes, that's bad - but let's take a hard look at F-22 and Typhoon before we single out F-35 for the brickbats. Cost is up by around 50%, not 'twice the price'. Bad? Yes. But not as bad as Typhoon's cost increases.

Look, the thing is that the US have 'gone for it' in a big way. After three or four failed programmes (ATF, NATF, A-12, F-22) , they took a pretty big leap and decided to go for a single engined single seat common solution to a range of requirements. And they're doing it in a free country, so it's in full view of anyone who wants to scrutinise it. (Unlike, say, the UK, where the problems of the Typhoon programme were nicely hidden for around 10 years - so were the costs).

It's a free forum, so anyone can have a pop at the project, and they should do so. But, every so often, I'd like to suggest that we could just pause and pay the US team a bit of credit for thinking big and aiming high, and sticking to their guns. And, by the way, giving the Brits who are playing a crucial role the credit they are due.

And to respond to FB - exactly what purpose do performance comparisons between the variants serve? These are three different aircraft, meeting three different sets of requirements, but built around a common core. Their performance will differ - the key is how well they meet the KPPs and other requirements that the customers and the design teams have set. They won't meet them all, but that's real life.

Designing and building something like the F-35 is a bit like trying to devise a Formula 1 car, getting it to fly, getting it to hover, then making it last for 30 years or more, flown by 'Joe pilot' instead of Lewis Hamilton and maintained by 'Joe maintainer' instead of hand picked teams. It's really, really hard to do. Sometimes, I really feel that this basic fact is not sufficiently understood.

Last time - the F-35 team are not numpties. They have made errors, but that's what humans do. And like all humans, they learn and adapt and improve.

A bit of a rant. for which I apologise. I suppose all I ask is that people give the project a fighting chance and realise that, for the West, this IS the next generation combat aircraft, and will be the mainstay of all their Air Forces for 30 years or more. It will have problems, but it's my bet that it will carry through to deliver aircraft to service.

And, as ever, my best regards to all those who fly and fix aircraft now and in the future.

Engines